Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Girls' Bedroom

The last time I mentioned the girls' bedroom on the blog was back in the summer of 2013 when we were getting it spruced up for Vivi's arrival.  It's changed a lot since then, so I thought I'd post some pictures.  

There's still more to be done.  I think there will always be more to be done.  And, on the off chance that I do ever "finish" their room, they will probably be old enough to want to change everything about it anyhow.  The room is very pink because it's Madeline's favorite, but we joke that someday Vivi will paint her half black in protest.  In the meantime, I get to have fun and do what I want in there.  

There is only one window in the room.  It lets in a lot of light though.  My iPhone pictures are a little washed out, but the removable polka dots on the wall are metallic gold.  The walls are a very pale pink/peach.  I love that color.  I would paint the whole house that color if Eric could stomach it.    


As you can see, the ceiling is sloped on Madeline's side of the room under the eaves of the house, which makes fitting furniture a little awkward.  Still, I think Madeline feels cozy nestled into the corner at night.  Her bed is pretty high off the ground, so she uses a rail to hold her in.  

There isn't enough space between her bed and the radiator for a nightstand, so I have plans to add some small book racks on the wall.  When I check on her at night, she always has piles and piles of books surrounding her, so maybe she'll be more comfortable if she has someplace to keep them.  


Madeline's dresser and bookshelf are at the foot of her bed.  The dressers are from Ikea.  I painted them a shade darker than the walls.   

The bookshelf fits perfectly under the eaves and behind the closet door.  We keep our oversized books, hair ribbons, and a piggy bank on the top.  The shade on the lamp broke, so that needs to be replaced.  There's also an embroidery sampler that I found at a thrift store hanging on the wall that reads, "Love is Awesome."  

Madeline's banner is left over from her first birthday party.  They are printable letters from Martha Stewart's website. The mushroom nightlight was a present for Maddie's first Christmas.  


See that yellow spot on the ceiling next to the closet door in the photo below ?  That's some recent water damage resulting from the winter from hell.  The ice dams on that side of the house were pretty bad since it never gets any sun and is too high for Eric to reach.  I'm not sure how to fix that spot, but it's on the list.  

This wall faces the window.  There's a random rectangular column in the middle of it that encases our chimney.  The shelves house an old iPod dock that we use as a sound machine, their snowglobe collection, and some delicate toys.  My sister passed that glider along to us when Madeline was born.  I still use it to rock Vivi to sleep.  When we're done with it, that space will be perfect for a desk or some bean bag chairs.  

This corner of the room is rarely neat as it is usually covered in books, shoes from the closet, (my girls have a thing about trying on ALL the shoes) and stuffed animals from the basket.  Vivi is working on taking out some books in this very picture. About two minutes after this it was taken, this corner was a mess again. 

Vivi's name banner is hanging from the shelves temporarily.  We had it above her dresser, but she kept pulling it off the wall.  Babies.

Vivi's side of the room is still rather bare.  We use Viv's dresser as her changing table, although the older she gets, the less we actually change her diaper up there.  Vivi uses the same blue crib from the old apartment that Madeline used.  It converts into a toddler bed, so she'll be in it for a while.  Eventually we'll either get a bed to match Madeline's, or we're considering bunk beds along that wall.  

That wall needs some artwork and a mirror above Vivi's dresser.  

The old butterfly mobil I made while pregnant with Maddie is hanging above Vivi's crib just out of reach.  She really likes to watch it, but it's kinda out of place there.

 I still want to change the light fixture above Madeline's bed.  We have that same fixture throughout our house.  It's heavy, black, and very Victorian looking.

The curtains have a pink pompom trim that I added to a set of plain Ikea curtains.  Ikea curtains are wicked inexpensive.  Like, you can't buy fabric that cheap.  I was sold.

So that's where my girls sleep, play, and plot future world domination.  



2 comments: