Thursday, January 22, 2015

Happy Birthday, Olaf!

On Tuesday, Madeline declared, "Tomorrow is Olaf's birthday!"  

In case you're new around here, Olaf is Maddie's bear and best buddy.  http://ourlittlebabywl.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-girl-and-her-bear.html?m=1
And for the record, he was Olaf long before any snowman came along.  

I don't know what put the idea in her head, but she didn't forget about celebrating Olaf's birthday like I expected she would.  She spent the rest of the afternoon making invitations to his party and hanging up decorations.   

I found the feather boas from her dress-up box draped around the banister, and every figurine she possesses lined up in anticipation for his party, which she informed me, would be the following afternoon.   


I figured, what the heck, Olaf deserves a birthday.  So I told her that if she cleaned the playroom, (now covered in figurines and dress-up clothes) she could have a party for Olaf when she got home from school the next day.  

She woke up the next morning, Olaf tucked under her arm as always, and exclaimed, "Olaf's party is today!" 

I did some grocery shopping while she was at school and picked up a cupcake for "Olaf" while I was there.  

Later, as promised, we broke out the fancy tea set, and Madeline set up her party.  She very happily poured water into the teacups and chatted with her bears.  

When I showed her the cupcake, the smile faded from her face though.  

"Mumma, Olaf's not real," she told me gently.  

I'm not sure if she was making sure that she would get to eat the cupcake, or if she was worried that her mother had actually lost her mind.  But once I clarified that she could eat it in Olaf's place, and that I knew he wasn't a living bear, the party was back on.  

Happy birthday, Olaf.  You're a very good bear.  



No comments:

Post a Comment