Monday, August 18, 2014

It's a Sunny Day on the Farm

Vivi has a Fisher Price "book" about farm animals that talks and sings.  Your child may also have this book, and if so, I'm sorry.  It opens with the line, "It's a sunny day on the farm," followed by, "It's time to play with our animal friends!"

However, Madeline always says, "It's time to cook our animal friends!" instead. (She likes to pretend that it's a cookbook.)  At first I was worried by her desire to cook the cute baby animals, but meh...she's right.

While in Vermont, we visited Shelburne Farms right outside of Burlington.  Madeline was petting some sheep, and I asked when they would be shorn.  The teenage farm hand whispered, so as not to upset the children, that these sheep were for eating, not wool.  Sorry, Lambchop...

Across the barnyard, we saw some adorable piglets napping amongst a pumpkin patch.  Every few feet, there was another tiny piglet hidden beneath the vines with the remnants of half-eaten pumpkins strewn about them.  This was really adorable.  Also, pumpkin-fed pigs probably make excellent bacon.  As do the acorn-fed turkeys living next to the piglets.
Sleep soundly, little pig.
I obviously know where meat comes from, and if I had my choice, I would much rather my food live a happy life amongst a pumpkin patch than a miserable existence in some giant stockyard.  Yet, from my position in suburbia, it's pretty easy to forget that farms are not just some cute place to visit with the kids.  It's time to cook our animal friends indeed, Maddie Bear.  How right you are.

Anyhow...now that I've left you with these thoughts...here are some cute pictures of my family.

Shelburne Farms is immense.  There's a wagon that brings visitors around the property, but we missed the ride when we first got there.  Rather than wait for the next wagon, we decided to walk the half-mile to the barnyard.

We saw some (slightly creepy) statues along one of the paths, and then realized that with the right stick, they were really instruments.

That's the barnyard in the background.  It looks like a fortress.  It now houses the children's barn, cheese making, a bakery, a wood smith, and a school.  Oh, how I would love to send Madeline and Vivi to that school so that they will be able to live off the land should the zombie apocalypse come upon us.  


Chickens roam the barn freely, so there's an area to leave any eggs visitors may find.  There were lots of kiddos chasing chickens, but Maddie was all set with that.  


She had no problem riding the tractor in the play room however...

Oh, dear God, they're not acorn-fed people....are they???

We got some goodies from the bakery.  I call this next photo, "No, You May Not Have My Cookie, Vivienne!"

And this one is called, "Fine, I'll Just Eat Some Grass Instead."  

When we were done visiting the barn, we (or rather I) decided it would be a good idea to hike to the top of a hill to admire the view.  Eric was carrying the baby, so why not?

The flowers were worth it...

The view was worth it.

Madeline took this next one.  


If you ever find yourself in this area of the globe, I can't recommend this place enough.  We didn't even see the inn, of which there are tours complete with afternoon tea.  How Downton Abbey is that?!  Next time...












No comments:

Post a Comment