Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sisterly Love

Madeline waiting to meet her little sister for the first time.  She looks so nervous!  
When Madeline met Vivienne for the first time, she was not impressed.  She looked at her baby sister with a mixture of curiosity and fear for approximately five seconds before completely ignoring her existence.

In fact, she wouldn't even stand next to Vivienne, choosing instead to cast sideways glances from a safe distance.  Yet, she wasted no time in climbing into bed with me once the baby had been passed to her grandparents.  Perhaps she was marking her territory?

Eric and I were slightly alarmed by her reaction.  I had an overwhelming feeling of dread: What if we had just ruined Madeline's life by introducing a baby sister to the mix?  One day we'd say, "Madeline was on the path toward becoming a doctor until Vivienne arrived. Now she sells matches in the alley behind Walgreens!"
Thankfuly, Madeline's second visit with her baby sister was a lot more promising.  We had moved Vivi to the nursery before Maddie's arrival so that I was able to greet my firstborn with empty arms.  After some kisses and cuddles with Mumma, she helped Eric wheel Vivienne back to our room from the nursery.  She was much more interested in having a baby sister after that.  

She climbed right up in bed with Vivi and I.  She smiled softly at the baby's tiny face and cooed, "It's okay. It's okay," like a tiny Mumma.  From that moment on, she has been smitten.  

Madeline now gives Vivi so many kisses and cuddles that we have to remind her to let the poor girl breathe.

  "Can I see Vivi?" she asks eagerly before planting another kiss...or three...on her cheeks.  "Just one more kiss," she bargains with me after I tell her that Vivi has had enough.  

As for Vivienne, she wasn't interested in her big sister much at first either.  The most meaningful relationship she was forming was with my left breast.  However, as Vivienne becomes more aware of her surroundings, she seems drawn to Madeline as well.  She stares intensly at Maddie's face and looks around the room when she hears Maddie's voice.

I had a feeling Madeline would be a great big sister.  After all, she's an extremely sweet and sensitive little girl.  I'm pleased to find I was right.  And I can't wait to watch these two little girls grow together for years to come.








No comments:

Post a Comment