Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Tick Tock

I feel like a ticking time bomb of amniotic fluid. I will have a baby by the end of the month, I just don't know when she'll choose to make her entrance. It could happen tonight, or it could happen three weeks from now. The suspense is starting to build. Tick, tick, tick, tick.

At home, we've even taken up a game called, "Is My Water Breaking?"  It consists of me freaking out Eric by gasping, "Oh, did my water just break?!"  This round is quickly followed by disgust as I sigh, "Nope, sorry..." before waddling off toward the bathroom. (Don't act like you've never been there, ladies.) The game will end when I actually go into labor. The winner gets a baby.

The waiting game puts everyone a bit on edge. Eric checks on me in the middle of the night as soon as he hears me stirring even though he's usually a sound sleeper.  People at work are genuinely surprised to see that I'm still there.  My students are becoming increasingly awkward in their attempts to not stare at my belly.  The first thing Madeline said to me when she woke up this morning was, "Baby sister wants to come out and play with me!"  Meanwhile, I'm filled with a compulsive desire to tidy up my entire house, which is extremely out of character for me. Tick, tick, tick, tick.

On one hand, I can't wait to meet baby girl.  Sometimes, when I have to literally roll like a turtle on its back to get off the couch, I'm all, "Omigod, get this baby OUT!"  On the other hand, I'm enjoying these last few weeks.  I like being pregnant, and this will probably be my last time...which is a little bit sad.  Plus, we could use another week or two to get Christmas decorations up and papers graded.  So really, Baby Girl, we're ready whenever you are. 

Just please, for the love of all that is holy, don't let it happen in school. That is one life lesson I'm not ready to share with my students. Plus, I will probably end up like this poor woman... I share a lot on the Internet, but me mooing like a cow while my students grin on in glee is not something anyone should ever see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment