Tuesday, February 12, 2013

DIY Valentine's Day Poppers

We've been trapped in the house for the past four days riding out the blizzard and its aftermath.  While I could have used the opportunity to get a lot of useful things done around the house, instead I saw it as some time to do some fun, frivolous crafts instead.  Such as...

Valentine's Day Poppers!

I basically followed two different tutorials for this project.  First, I made a mini photo garland that I saw here: Flavor Pink Then, I made the holiday crackers I saw here: Oh Happy Day

For the garland, I used Photoshop to make a sheet full of miniature heart-shaped photos.
Then I cut the hearts out, threaded them on some string, and looped off the ends with some beads so that I could hang the garland.  


For the crackers, I cut old paper towel rolls in half, and wrapped them in festive, pink paper.  
 I closed one end of the tube off with some ribbon, and filled them up with the garlands and some Valentine's Day goodies.  

I wanted to add glitter, but Eric asked why I would so such a thing to the people I loved.  Therefore, I stuck to much less messy foam hearts and Hershey's Kisses.  
 And some love from Maddie Bear, of course...

Finally, I simply tied the other end up with some matching ribbon to seal everything in.  

The tutorial from Oh Happy Day used actual crackers, which you can buy at party supply stores.  Those will create a popping noise when you pull the tubes open, just like the Christmas tradition.  However, I was snowed in, so I cheated and skipped that step.  Sadly, that means mine won't crack and pop.  Womp. Womp.  

Still, they're awfully cute in spite of their flaws.



No comments:

Post a Comment