Friday, January 18, 2013

Around the Mighty Internets

Laughing About: 

"Experts Say Not to Bribe Your Kids.  I'll Give You $10 and Stale Candy if You Prove Them Wrong."

I may or may not be guilty of using my daughter's number-one desire to eat all the M&Ms to my advantage.  I'm just pushing her to do the things she only thinks she doesn't want to do.  Trust me, Madeline...pooping in diapers is not cool.  You may not know it yet, but you want to use the potty.  In the meantime, have an M&M or two for giving it a go. 

Like everything in life, I think raising children is all about balance.  The advice cited in this piece about never using the word "shouldn't" with your toddler is ridiculous.  If I offered Madeline a new toy every time she ate her dinner, that would also be ridiculous.  I offer her chocolate instead.  See?  Balance.  

Scratching My Head Over: 

"The Early Education Racket"

We spoke recently to friends of ours who are against preschool.  That blew my mind.  I didn't think anyone was against preschool (except some members of the case of Teen Mom.)

The article basically states that if you are wealthy and well educated, your kids don't need preschool, but if you're poor and uneducated, they do.  All I know is that I will never wait in lines, go through interviews, or heft out major bucks to send my daughter to preschool.  I don't think that is the realistic preschool experience for most of the American public.  Therefore, I'm mostly confused by the author's point.  

All I know is I'm pro preschool.  It's educational, fun, provides good socialization skills, and we need professionals to look after Madeline while we are at work.

Smugging Over:  

Tell Me About It

This advice column, where a neglected friend expresses her confusion over why parents are so busy, was making it rounds via social media this week.  Columnist Carolyn Hax's response was pretty right on.

I think parents should try to make time for themselves and for their friends, but I am also mystified by people who don't get why parenting is exhausting.  Before I had Madeline, I certainly didn't fully understand parenting, but I heard around the grapevine that it's pretty hard work.  I didn't think those millions of people were lying...

Just for Kicks:  

White House Responds to Death Star Petition: No

"The administration does not support blowing up other planets."  I know someone who will be disappointed...





No comments:

Post a Comment