Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Harry Potter Halloween

When your husband...who teaches marching band for a living...calls you a nerd, it's a sign that something has gone terribly awry in the universe.

But I have to admit that I probably hit a new high, or is it a low, in the nerdiest of nerd departments when I saw these Harry Potter potion labels on Pinterest on Sunday afternoon.

Ten minutes after first seeing them, Eric walked into the room to find me busily taping labels to bottles and bouncing giddily in my chair. "LOOK!  It's Draught of Living Death!!!"  I squealed as I thrust a bottle before him.

He raised an eyebrow at me.

"From HARRY POTTER!!!!"  I explained.

He raised two eyebrows at me.  "Okay..."

Ten minutes later, he checked in on me again.  This time I had roped the baby into my madness.  We were standing at the kitchen counter intensely focused on our work.  Okay, maybe I was intensely focused.  Madeline was just happy to be allowed to play with salt.

"What are you doing now?" he asked.

"Making potions...gosh!" I rolled my eyes at him.  "Look how awesome the Wolfbane turned out.  I used Chili Powder!" I added proudly.

Eric picked up a bottle and swirled it around briefly.  He did not look impressed.  "You're such a nerd," he laughed before retreating to the safety of the living room.

Now all the bottles are assembled on my dining room table, complete with the box from the basement, a centerpiece of dead leaves from the yard, and some baby pumpkins.  And it just makes me so, so happy every time I walk in the room and see it.  Halloween was made for people like me.

P.S.  The blog that offers the free potion printables has a lot of other Harry Potter-themed Halloween things.  Cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-check it out.








2 comments: