Monday, July 9, 2012

Monday Morning Messes with Mumma and Maddie Bear: Bubble Art

We were at it again this Monday morning...making messy masterpieces of art on our back porch.

Except this time, The Catcher in the Rye shirt was replaced by The Sun Also Rises.  Madeline has been reading a lot of books that focus on American disillusionment recently...emo baby.

My mother sent me this link from Babyccino Kids a few days ago, and I thought, "Perfect!  Madeline loves paint!  Madeline loves bubbles!  Madeline love making a mess!  Let's do it!"

I have a problem throwing away glass jars because I'm auditioning for the new season of Hoarders, so I gathered three old containers and filled them with bubble solution.  Then I mixed a few drops of food coloring into each jar.  I opted for red, green and blue, although by the time we were finished, we had purple too.

The idea is that you blow bubbles and let them pop on white paper.  The dyed bubble solution leaves cool circular patterns on the paper.

Although Madeline wants desperately to be able to blow bubbles, she hasn't really figured that out yet, so for this project, I did most of the bubble blowing.    

She did, however, do a fantastic job of splattering bubble solution on the paper (and off the paper too.)  I think she was most happy swirling the colorful liquids around the jars though.  I was pretty sure we were going to have a spill on our hands, but we got lucky.    

 The bubble art turned out really pretty.  It sorta looks like marbled paper, and it really glows in the sun.  


I think older kids would go bananas for this project.  Blowing bubbles is so fun, and almost everyone has food coloring lying around the house somewhere.



3 comments:

  1. The next Mary Cassat! Or is she more Georgia O'Keefe? Jackson Pollack, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute!! Hope Maddie had fun making it!!
    -Tabatha

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sure did! Hope you are having a good vacation, Tabatha!

    ReplyDelete