Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Train Diaries

We've traveled with Madeline via car and via ferry, and now we can add train to the list!  The two of us took the train from Boston to New York on Friday morning to meet Eric.

I was a little nervous to be making the trip on my own.  Madeline is wildly unpredictable these days, as little bears tend to be.  Luckily, she was really good over all.  I only added two new white hairs to the collection.

Here's how it went down:

5:25 AM- My step dad Bob picks me and Madeline up to give us a lift into the city on his way to work.  Bob wrestles with the car seat a bit getting it into his car, and I thank my lucky starts I don't ever have to move those things on my own.  There has to be a less complicated way to make babies safe in cars.  Roof racks???

6:20 AM- We arrive at South Station.  Our train isn't on the board and a brief moment of panic sets in.  I check my ticket to make sure I booked the right date.  Eh, I'll figure it out later.  I ignore panic and focus on breakfast.

6:25 AM-  The Dunkin Donuts at the station does not sell orange juice.  WTF?!  On the other hand, it's free donut day!  Hizzah!

6:30 AM- Madeline ignores her free donut and eats my  bagel instead.  I don't mind because my stomach is in nervous, nauseous mode over the fact that my train is STILL not listed on the schedule.
Munching on our free donut and people watching.  

6:33 AM- Homeless people adore my kid.  She keeps waving at them, and they keep waving back.  I try to be polite while at the same time giving Mumma-Bear-back-the-hell-down-creepazoid body signals.

6:35 AM- Madeline yells "Hi people! Hi people!" to the masses of commuters.  We get the occasional smile among lots of grumpy stares.  How early do these people have to get up in the morning to be arriving in the city at this hour???

6:40 AM- My train is STILL not listed on the schedule.  I try texting Eric, but he must still be asleep because he does not text back.  I check my ticket for the fifth time and then check the date on my phone to ensure that today is, in fact, the first of June.

7:00 AM- Madeline is finally finished with my bagel.  She ate the whole thing.  Only an hour until our train arrives...maybe?
 
7:15 AM- Madeline refuses to sit in her stroller and insists on pushing it around the station.  I try my best to keep her out of the way of stampeding business people and/or the friendly homeless folk. 

7:20 AM- An old woman wearing knee-high rainbow stockings, yellow crocks, and khaki shorts (surprisingly, not homeless) waves at Madeline.  Madeline is mesmerized.  I use the moment of distraction to check my ticket again.  LIGHT BULB MOMENT!  My train's final destination is Washington D.C....not New York.  It's been on the schedule the whole time after all.  Massive sigh of relief.  Also?  I'm a bonehead.

7:30 AM- There are zero changing tables at South Station. Why, God, why?!?!
I ended up changing Madeline's diaper wedged between two women applying their morning makeup.  Either they have children of their own or they've seen it all because they didn't even blink at the toddler bum no more than an inch from their elbows.  At least it was only pee-pees!  


8:00 AM- Hallelujah our train has arrived just in time.  Madeline is starting to be a beastie.

8:10 AM- Madeline cried when we boarded the train, but she calmed down quickly once she realized she got her own big girl seat. 

8:15 AM- Only on the train a couple of minutes and I've already had to break out the Little People.  Not a good sign. 


8:20- 9:00 AM - We color, look out the window, watch a movie, and play some games.  Madeline is pretty good, but I'm hoping she takes a nap soon!

9:48 AM- Madeline is asleep!  Hooray!  Time to catch up on some Game of Thrones reading. 

10:50 AM- And she's awake again...Brienne of Tarth will have to wait.

11:15 AM- Oh holy hell, please let us get there soon.  Madeline just threw a fit over not being allowed to play with the ice pack in our lunch box.  Meanwhile, eating is for the birds, Mumma!

11:25 AM- Madeline's head fits perfectly between the wall and the seat.  I hope the people behind us like babies because Madeline's pretty set on playing peek-a-boo with them.  I also hope the people in front of us don't mind babies because she kicks the seat every time I tell her not to do something she wants to do...like punch the windows, stick her fingers in the electrical outlet, jump on her seat, or play with the ice pack.
Maddie is well-rested after her power nap.  Mumma is nervous.  
Noon-ish:  The view gets more interesting as we approach the city.  I try to keep Madeline occupied by talking about all the things we see outside the window.  Madeline keeps insisting that she sees sheep and cows, which is funny because all I see is graffiti and apartment buildings.

12:30-ish:  Madeline waves and yells, "Bye-Bye!!!" to all the people on the train as we exit.  Almost everyone smiles and waves back.   "We made it!"  I tell her.  "Hooray!" she claps in response.

12:35-ish:  I call Eric, who is supposed to meet us at Penn Station because I have little hope of ever finding my way out of this labyrinth on my own.  "Where are you?"  he asks.  "Um, in front of a Starbucks..." I shrug.  Luckily, he is superman and he knows exactly which Starbucks I mean.

We meet up with Dada and he whisks away to the LIRR for yet another train adventure.  By the time 6 pm rolls around, Madeline falls asleep during dinner.  What an exciting day!




3 comments:

  1. Awesome parenting adventure! Why were you going to NY? Also, is Game of Thrones any good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignore the first question, I clearly missed your last post. But I still want to know about the book! Please pass on my condolences to Eric. Maible met her great grandmother over memorial day weekend and it was truly special.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Sarah. The book is great. It's kinda disturbing in parts though so if you're in a I just had a baby and I can't stop crying kinda mood, I'd wait a bit. Otherwise they'd be a fun summer read!

      Delete