Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Eastah Bunny!

When I went to pick Madeline up from daycare yesterday, the receptionist greeted me with, "I heard you had a great Easter!"

I assumed she was just being polite, or that maybe she had spoken with Eric that morning when he dropped Madeline off,  but no.  Madeline was the one who told her all about it, and it seems she could not stop talking about it all day.  

This is awesome for two reasons:  One, Madeline can have simple conversations with people now.  She tries to tell us about her day, she communicates her wants and desires, and we can ask her questions and get somewhat legitimate answers.

"Do you want milk or juice, Madeline?"
"Juice.  Juice."
"Can you say please?"
"Pees."

Obviously, these "conversations" are very, very simple, but when the receptionist reiterated what Madeline had told her about Easter, I was pretty impressed with my daughter's ability to communicate with the limited vocabulary she possesses.

The second reason this is awesome is because Easter was the first holiday that Madeline seemed really excited about.

She hasn't stopped talking about it since.  She brings up her "Eastah baskit!" at least ten times a day.  She is literally screeching, "Eastah Bunny!  Eastah Bunny!"  up in her crib as I type this.  She wants to keep reading her books about the Easter Bunny over and over and over again.  

It's a new obsession.

And why shouldn't it be?  She got a pretty pink basket with some candy and small toys.  She got to search for brightly-colored eggs filled with shiny, tinfoil-wrapped candies in my sister's yard.  She ran around the house like a madwoman with her cousin for hours, and grownups everywhere doted on her for the day.

No wonder she's still talking about it.  Her Easter was pretty great.

And it's great seeing the magical, glittery, candy-filled world of a child again through her eyes.  I can't wait for Christmas.  It's going to be epic.

P.S.  Even though my daughter was the epitome of cuteness on Sunday, I am a horrible mother and did not take a single picture.  Luckily, Mimi did, and I will be begging her for copies soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment