Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Bear Feels Scared

Madeline has had a rough first week in the toddler room at school so far.  When Eric drops her off in the mornings she gets really scared and starts howling as soon as he puts her down.  

She's spent almost her whole life in the infant room.  Madeline loves her old teacher who spent hours upon hours rocking, feeding, and clothing her.  It's got to be a huge shock to the Maddie Bear's system to be in a new room with a new teacher and new kids.  She's also on a new schedule, and if there's one thing I know about my daughter, it's that she has a hard time adjusting to new schedules.  

Plus, because Eric drops her off so early in the morning, her teacher isn't even there yet.  All the early arrivals get placed in the same room together until the classrooms open for the day.  That means Madeline now hangs out with some of the big kids for about half an hour every morning.  Talk about scary!   

Of course, I'm worried, but Eric's slowly convincing me that she'll adjust once she gets used to her new surroundings.  I'm sure he's right.  I'm just glad he drops her off in the mornings instead of me

For Valentine's Day yesterday afternoon, Eric brought Madeline home a pink bear and a book called Bear Feels Scared.  It's all about a bear who gets lost in the woods and feels scared until his friends come and find him and make him feel safe again.  It's kind of a scary book, but Eric read it to her hoping she'd pick up the message feeling safe with friends.  


P.S. We were thinking of a name for her bear when Madeline said, "Tie, tie!" pointing to the bow around it's neck.  So we've named the bear Tai Bear.  All day I've had the words, "That was way harsh Tai," floating around in my head.  Further proof that I watched too much Clueless in my youth...and last week.   

2 comments:

  1. First; I want to say that Eric is the BEST Papa Bear ever!

    Second; I am gong to unleash the screaming Mimi! You pay $--K per year for that day care and Madeline is basically warehoused for the 1st half hour? and Maddie doesn't arrive all that early! just think if you had to drop her off at 6! no wonder she is not happy... Mimi is not happy! :-(

    Third; Maddie looks adorable with her Tai bear and book. Just about the cutest baby ever! (It's a tie with KB for cutest baby in the universe!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's the right way to do it. Way to go! I've read somewhere that we should give kids something to believe in, something to rely on whenever she feels scared and we're not there for them and whenever nobody else she trust is. That way she will always have something to comfort her even in her most dreadful moment.

    I hope she gets used to her new schedule and environment.
    Here is something to make her smile: http://www.babypics.com/pics/a238/00000006

    Great post! love it ♥

    ReplyDelete