Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Babies are funny creatures.   If I were Madeline and I saw this...


...coming down the hallway at me, I'd be all like, "OMIGOD, Mumma?!  Why did you skin Pooh Bear and make him into a hat?!?"

(And Mumma would reply in her best Ivan Drago impression, "I wear bearrr!  No more honey-k!!")    

But the real Madeline?  She loves her towel made from genuine Pooh Bear hide.

Among Madeline's strange and unusual phobias, right along with a fear of her own shadow, is her fear of bath towels.  (A.K.A. Petsetaphobia...unless Google is lying to me.)

I guess the comfort of a soft, warm, sweet-smelling towel while wet, cold and naked in the dead of winter in New England isn't at all appealing to my daughter.  Hmmm.

I don't know why she hates towels so much.  It's not like we're using huge, scary Dada-sized towels. We are using small, Maddie-sized towels.  Yet, every time we try to wrap her up or dry her off after bath time, she howls and scoots her naked self away from us.

Since Elmo solved our last bath-related crisis, we decided to look for an Elmo towel while at Toys R Us on Saturday.

The moment Madeline saw Pooh Bear's hide dangling from the shelves smiling sinisterly at us, she yelled, "Huny! Huny!  Pooh!  Pooh!"  and wrapped her arms around him in a loving embrace.

Eric and I exchanged our own sinister smiles.  We'd found an acceptable towel.

Last night during bath time, I wore the Pooh Bear towel on my head to show her it's full glory, and when she got out of the tub, she allowed us to place it on her head and wrap it around her shivering, little body.

Apparently, cutesy cartoon characters can solve all phobias.  I wonder...if I showed up at an agoraphobics house wearing my Pooh Bear pelt, could I could get him to come outside?



P.S.  Cute pictures of my baby are on the way.  Not that ridiculous pictures of me aren't cute...

No comments:

Post a Comment