Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Juice Box Adventures

On the rare occurrence that Eric has to work late, I try to do something special with Madeline.  Instead of going straight home after I pick her up from daycare, we go on small adventures.

This fall, Madeline and I could go to the park, take a walk, or visit the goats at a local farm.  Now that the frigid New England winter has finally decided to descend upon us, I've had to get more creative.  

Recently we've gone on tiny adventures to the mall or Target.  We've gone to Boston Market for mac n' cheese.  We've gone to Joanne Fabrics where Madeline likes to run her hands on all the fabrics as she brushes by in her shopping cart.  Sometimes I just bring her home, make a nest of pillows and blankets on the living room floor and watch a movie with her.  

Our adventures are insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but I usually find out so much about Madeline during these little outings.    

For example, last week Eric had to work late so we went to Chipotle for a celebratory burrito.  Madeline surprised me by eating all her quesadilla even though she usually refuses to eat the ones I make for her at home.  (Everyone's a critic.)  

She also surprised me by using a juice box like a pro.  I had planned on emptying the contents into a cup for her, but she grabbed the box and straw and gulped down the juice like it ain't no thing.  No less than a week ago, we had tried giving her a sippy cup with a straw and were met with major baby frustration.  When did she learn to use a juice box!?  

I know, I know, it's a juice box, Summer, get a grip!  No big deal...right?  Except, it kind of is a big deal.  

I like to think I know everything there is to know about my daughter  After all, she kicked me from the inside.  I know her better than anyone else on this planet.  Then, out of nowhere, she'll blow me away with something as amazing as using a juice box correctly.   


It makes me realize that Madeline is not just an extension of me.  Although she does make the quite the adorable accessory.  (kidding...sorta)  There's a significant amount of time during the week where Madeline has her own life at school that has nothing to do with Mumma and Dada.  

What else don't I know?  Is she driving yet?  Can she speak French?  C'est possible!  

That's why it's important to take time for little adventures with Madeline.  It's a chance for me to discover little details about my daughter's life when she's away from me...like that she can drink a juice box like a pro.     


As she gets older, she'll be able to tell me about what she learned at school over burritos.  

I got to soak as much of it in while I can.  Before I know it, there will come a day when I ask her what she learned at school and she'll reply, "Nothing," before texting her BFF all through our burritos.  Sad face.  

No comments:

Post a Comment