Tuesday, January 17, 2012

If You Like It...

You better put a ring on it!

At least that's what Beyonce tells me, and I've learned to take everything that Beyonce tells me very seriously in life.  Obviously.

(Not to self:  Don't quit job to embark on hand-modeling career.)

Eric asked me to marry him yesterday afternoon.  After about .2 milliseconds of careful consideration, I said yes.

Our relationship history is a bit backward.  We've been together almost six years.  We moved in together, had babies together, bought a house together, and now we're finally getting around to what tradition dictates should have come first.  

Several years ago, after Ellis but before Madeline was born, we discussed our goals as a couple late one night.  Eric asked me to list what I wanted in order of importance.  My list was baby, house, marriage.  So, that's the way we did things.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  That's what makes us US.

I think if I had married younger in life, I would have been in it more for the wedding than for the marriage.  I used to read a lot of Martha Stewart Weddings in my day.

Now that I'm more...ahem...mature, the party part of it isn't as important.

 It will be fun deciding what we're going to do to celebrate our marriage, but I'd be happy marrying Eric in a dingy city clerk's office and celebrating with burritos if we had to.  (Don't worry, parents, that's not really the plan.)

I'm excited to be embarking on this next step of life with Eric.  He's a wonderful man, father, and partner, and we're lucky to have one another.  

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! :).

    I got married at 23 and thought I was 'past it' and now realise I was actually quite young - and still have a long way to go in learning just about everything.

    I think if you'd met Eric when you were younger, it would have been about love, just as it is now. I think our experiences can definitely shape our actions but speaking myself as someone who married young I can say it's the best decision I ever made - and it also means when I am a 40-something that I might live in a house where I'm child-free again ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Summer,

    I LOVE reading your blog! I am so happy for your and Eric!!!! Congratulations!

    Much love,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Andrea.

    Cara, I didn't mean getting married young is wrong. I just meant that it didn't feel right for ME. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of being someone's wife, but now I am.

    ReplyDelete