Thursday, December 15, 2011

Elmo, The Little Red Dictator

Recently I've come to the conclusion that my irrational fear of the Zombie Apocalypse is completely ridiculous.

What I really should be fearing is an Elmo apocalypse.  Because, seriously? Elmo is an evil genius who is hell bent on taking over the world one baby at a time.  

About three weeks ago, Madeline plopped herself down on my lap with a Sesame Street book, opened it, pointed to a page and stated, "Elmo!" clear as a bell.  

Nobody has taught Madeline who Elmo is.  We have no Elmo toys.  We've only watched Sesame Street a handful of times.  The book with the picture of Elmo in it does not even mention his name.  I also checked in with daycare to see if she learned it there.  They were just as perplexed as I.

Without anyone having taught her, Madeline has bowed down to the unstoppable force that is Elmo.

Since then, Madeline has become Elmo obsessed.  If she sees him on a shelf in a store ten aisles away, she'll yell for him.  If I get a Toys R Us flyer mailed to the house, she picks the Elmos out from the pages.  There are little Elmos on some of her diapers, and she stares at him lovingly every time I change her.

 I grew up watching and loving Sesame Street, and yet, I find Elmo pretty obnoxious.  When I was a kid, (wow, I'm old) Elmo was only a secondary character.

Have you watched Sesame Street recently?  Big Bird has all but faded from the show.  I haven't seen an episode with him in it yet.  I also noticed that while Ernie makes an appearance in the show's intro, Bert is nowhere to be seen.  What?!  Shenanigans.

Elmo is everywhere.  Him and that gosh darn Abby Caddabby...whoever that is.  Elmo even has his own show within the show during every episode called, "Elmo's World."

Which leads me back to my main point...

Is Elmo, in fact, trying to take over the world?

Maybe he really is a liberal, Commie tool sent to brainwash our children as Fox News has recently suggested.  I do find his red fur suspicious.

Don't say I didn't try to warn you folks.  Don't say I didn't try.   


1 comment: