Thursday, November 3, 2011

30 Days of Thanks: Days 1, 2 & 3

I've been seeing this a lot in the Land O' Blogs this week, and I thought I'd jump in...late, of course, cause that's how I roll.  I'm not sure where it started since many people are doing the same thing...but feel free to play along.

The idea is that you share one thing you are thankful for in honor of Thanksgiving for the next 30 days.

I'm going to share my first three items I'm thankful for today to make up for the two days I've missed already, and from now on I will try to update this daily.


Day One: (Tuesday, Nov. 1) 

When I think all the way back to Tuesday, I know I was thankful for electricity since ours came back on the night before.

Electricity is awesome.  It keeps me warm.  It keeps me fed.  I have a hard time falling asleep at night without the TV on.  (I know, I know, the planet hates me.)  Plus, I almost missed the whole Kim Kardashian divorce shockaroo because I didn't have power.  Horrifying.

When the lights came back on I did a happy dance.  Then they went out again, and I cried a bit while I boiled water in an attempt to do some dishes.  (I'm also thankful for gas stoves.) Then they came back on, and I realized that I need to stop taking electricity for granted.

Thank you Thomas Edison, or Benjamin Franklin, or whoever it was that discovered electricity.




Day Two: (Wednesday, Nov. 2)    

I'm thankful that Madeline loves her daycare.  I always feel slightly guilty about Madeline being in "school" all day instead of home with Mumma or Dada, which is why I make Eric drop her off in the mornings.

But seriously, Madeline loves it there.  She loves her teachers.  She loves the other babies.  She loves the endless amount of entertainment and attention that she gets.

After two snow days home with us, Eric and I dropped Madeline off at daycare yesterday morning to try to get her back in her routine.  (Also, we wanted a day for some Summer/Eric time...major guilt trip!!!) When we picked her up in the afternoon, she didn't want to go home.  Although it breaks my heart a little bit when she's not happy to see me, it's doubly awesome that she enjoys her time there so much that she doesn't mind being away from home.

Day Three: (Thursday, Nov. 3)  

Finally, today I am thankful for Eric who just moved my car into the garage so that I didn't have to.  (It's dark in there.)

And who had to take up a gig playing in the pit orchestra for a local production of Annie to pay for our broken garage door even though it meant lots of late nights last week.  Plus he caught my plague, and he had to do the show in a blizzard.  (It's a hard-knock life.)

He also cleaned the entire house today while I was at work...even the office which was a hot mess.  Then he volunteered to pick up the baby from daycare today so I could come home from work and get some alone time for half-an-hour.  Unfortunately, he didn't know that I had already picked up the baby because my phone was dead, so he drove all the way there for nothing. Oops.  He didn't even complain about it either.

And yesterday he spent the whole day window shopping with me.  Then he bought me lunch.

He's quite the guy, and I'm very lucky to have him.  



P.S. As I grew up, my parents would make us all go around the table and state what we were thankful for every year on Thanksgiving before we ate.  I didn't like it much because it was kinda embarrassing and I never had anything good to say.  "I'm thankful for good grades."  "I'm thankful for food."  "I'm thankful for my ridiculously frizzy red hair that won't stay straight even though it's the late 90s and smooth, stick straight hair is all the rage....stupid Jennifer Aniston."  So, I find it ironic that I'm now voluntarily stating what I'm thankful for to the vast amount of people (10) who read my blog on a regular basis.  

No comments:

Post a Comment