Monday, October 3, 2011

Back to Us

Eric and I left Madeline alone overnight for the first time on Saturday.
(And when I say alone, I mean my parents were with her...she wasn't chillin' at the house by herself Macaulay Culkin style.)

This was a big deal for us for several reasons.

First, OMG, I left my baby for an entire night!!!

She did great, obviously...she always does.  I think she enjoyed all the extra attention, cuddling, and snacks she gets with Grammy and Bob.  She even went to bed easily and slept straight through the night.
You go get em', Maddie Bear! (Thanks, Mom and Bob!)

Secondly, Eric and I attended the wedding of an old friend of mine from college.  They are the kind of couple that makes me believe that some people truly are a perfect match.  I felt really honored to be there.

It was like a mini college reunion.  A lot of old, familiar faces were there.  At one point in my life, I spent nearly every waking minute with these people.  We worked at our college newspaper together, we had all our classes together, we hung out after class and over the weekends.

But, as life tends to go, I've grown apart from them over the years.  I don't see them very often anymore.  Facebook's a really great invention, but in some ways it makes it almost easier to fall out of touch.  I don't need to talk to people all the time anymore to keep tabs on what they're doing, yeah know?

Therefore, it was extra fun seeing old friends.  It made me kind of nostalgic, but mostly happy that, in spite of the fact that my life has changed in so many ways since college, I still really like these people and enjoy their company.

Thirdly, and most importantly, I think it made Eric and I realize that we need to get. out. more. man!!!  As far as our social life goes these days, we're covered in lame sauce with a side of stale potatoes.

Even before Madeline was born, we were becoming homebodies.  I got lazy.  It just felt so much nicer to curl up in my sweats and order take-out with my honey on a Friday night than to get dressed and do something.

Now that Madeline's in our lives, it's getting harder and harder to be us instead of being just parents.

At the wedding, I danced, I drank till I was silly, I had a complete uninterrupted meal.  It's been a long time since we've lived that life.

So, hopefully from here on out, Eric and I can remember to get out more...with or without the baby.

Although, I must say, both of us were feeling the twinges of guilt this morning when we dropped her off for school for not spending as much time with her over the weekend as we usually do.

We do miss our Madeline when she's not around.

No comments:

Post a Comment