Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Favorite Things Redux

When baby girl was six months old, I wrote this post outlining my favorite newborn products.

Since Madeline turned the big O-N-E this week, I'm updating my list with baby products that got us through the second half of our first year as parents.

1.) Precious Planet Whale of a Tub

Madeline is just about too big for her tub now, and oh, how I'll miss it.  It's a baby tub that looks like a happy whale.  Soooooo cute!  
(Although if I had to take a bath in a real whale, I would probably be terrified...and not at all clean.)  


There's a non-slip foam surface on the tail end of the whale for little babies to recline against. There's also an infant insert to keep her from sliding down into the water.  


I felt completely at ease giving Madeline her baths in this tub even when we could have fit five babies her size in it at once.  When she learned to sit independently, we removed the insert and she's been happily sploshing and splashing in her whale tub ever since.  


2.) Baby Bjorn Soft Bib


Whenever we're going through a rocky patch with Madeline, I convince Eric that if we just buy (insert product name here) all of our problems will be solved.  I'm the kind of person who keeps the industry booming in spite of a recession.

However, I am usually extremely disappointed upon purchasing (insert product name here) to find that it does not solve all of our problems at all.  My baby might be swaddled from head to toe, bathed in lavender soap, strapped in a swing, filled with anti-gas formula, but it's 3 am, and she's still crying. So when I told Eric we needed a bib with a scoop on the bottom of it because it would be the solution to all of our problems, he laughed right in my face.

Except this time...I was RIGHT.  This bib did solve of our life problems.  No more epic, out-of-control messes all over the floor.  AND, the bib itself is wicked easy to clean.  AND, Madeline likes to pick the left-over food out of the scoop when she's done eating what's on her tray.  Less food waste!  No more life problems! Winner, winner...ding, ding, ding!

3.) Sassy Teething Feeder

I have an irrational fear of Madeline chocking on her food.  Actually, no.  That fear is completely rational.  Babies don't have any grinding teeth.  They also don't have any common sense, which means entire bananas end up in her mouth.  ENTIRE bananas. B-a-n-a-n-a-s! Am I right?

So when Madeline started switching to solids, I picked up one of these bad boys.  LOVED it.  I could fill it with chunks of watermelon, or frozen veggies, or even pork chops without completely losing my mind.  

4.) Baby Love by Norah O'Donnell and Chef Geoff Tracy 

I made all of Madeline's baby food.  I think she only ate the pre-made stuff three or four times ever in her life.

A big reason I was able to easily make Madeline's food was because of this book.  There are fabulous recipes from 6 months to a year.  All extremely easy.  Seriously, it would take me about half an hour to make a batch of baby food big enough to feed Madeline for an entire month.

Not to mention, the photographs are beautiful.  Who knew mashed peas could look so yummy? 


5.) Umbrella Stroller

We still love and use our Quinny Zapp all the time, but having a smaller, lighter umbrella stroller is also a must have.

We've used it for vacations, for riding on the T, and going to Fenway Park.  Basically any time we know we will have to fold up and carry the stroller for long periods of time, we choose this one.


6.) Fisher Price Brilliant Basics Rock-a-Stack 

There's a reason you probably had this toy when you were a baby.  Your mother and grandmother and possibly even great-grandmother probably had it to.  I'm pretty sure General Ulysses S. Grant played with this when he was a baby...that's why he won the war.

These things are swag.  (Sorry, my students taught me that word this week and I'm trying it on for size.  I want to see if I can take a cool word and instantly make it lame.) They're simple.  They aide in baby development.  They're entertaining.  Sure, they don't light up, sing, dance, or cut your lawn for you, but your baby will be entertained for hours.

Madeline STILL plays with hers on a daily basis.  I know there are also million wooden, environmentally sound, organic, non-plastic versions of stacking rings on the market now, but I like these.  They were cheap, and I can throw them in my diaper bag easily.  I'm sold.  Besides, if I put them away and save them for Madeline's great-great grand baby, who will also want to play with these rings, then they will become environmentally friendly.


What are YOUR must have baby products??? Got anything to add to the list???




2 comments:

  1. I don't know that I've ever posted, but I enjoy reading your blog because 1) You're a great writer, and 2) Madeline and my daughter, Kate, were due on the same day. Anyway, Katie loves the stacking rings. Thank goodness. Therings make great teethers, the red ring is a handy rattle, and in a pinch, the blue ring is a stylish tiara or ankle bracelet.

    Kate also loves her Fisher Price gumball machine, her activity table, her jumperoo (although she's grown beyond that now), and her plastic water bottle filled with beans. And the cat. And the dog (although they only tolerate her as of yet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Cassy. Those rings do make excellent anklets! I forgot the Jumper- roo! Maddie loved hers!

    ReplyDelete