Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Our Life in Yogurt

We spend a lot of quality family time in the grocery store. (Cause we're awesome...)  

Madeline goes to daycare two mornings a week, which would be a perfect time to quickly get the grocery shopping done on my own.  Instead, I like to be a delinquent parent who shirks her maternal responsibilities to go shoe shopping, pick out paint samples, or research fad diets I have no intention of following on the Internet.    

Besides, grocery shopping is the perfect summer activity, and it's free.  (Besides the groceries...I guess.)  

Madeline is still too young to insist on kicking me until I buy her a Snickers, or to throw a temper tantrum when I try to put her in the cart, so someday, my feelings on this matter may change.   But for now, the grocery store is the place to be as far as Maddie is concerned.  

She thinks being in the cart is great!  It's like a ride.  She kicks her feet, (which are still too short to reach me!) wiggles in the seat, and squeals in delight.   If there's Muzak playing, she grooves to her jam.  And of course, she yells so loud that the people on the other side of the store may wonder if there's a screaming baby hidden amongst the frozen pizzas.  Luckily, she's cute so not too many people give us death glares when she starts sounding her primal yelp.  

Plus?  It's cold in the grocery store, and it's been like, a bajillion degrees lately, which is too hot for fun.  Therefore, the grocery store has become our new fun.  Jealous?  Eric and I coast up and down every aisle, even if we don't need anything in that aisle, just to make the fun last.  Double jealous?  

Plus?  We're teachers with glamorous lifestyles so we can visit the grocery store in the middle of the day when there's nobody else there except for some old ladies buying pro biotic yogurt.   (In fact, we may have met the oldest lady in the world in the yogurt section last week who told us all about her twenty great-great grand children none of whom have red hair even though she and her daughter had red hair.  She was very sweet, and very, very old.  Like, she could have been the old lady in the movie Titanic old.)       

Speaking of which, if you spend a lot of time in the yogurt section of the grocery store...we do, clearly...you may start to notice that the yogurt is set up in a human life line.  

See, there's Madeline down at the beginning of the section next to the Yo Baby yogurt. Separating Madeline and I are children's yogurts featuring lovable characters such as Go-Diego-Go on the lids, followed by the Yoplait Lights of my teens and twenties.  

And there I am, next to the Greek yogurts.  Beyond me lay the digestive-aid yogurts such as Activia because apparently someday I will need help pooping on a regular basis.  Something to look forward to.

And when I reach the end of the yogurt life line, I'll probably still be cruising the aisles of the super market talking to young couples about my twenty great-great grand children all of whom have red hair.  

(I just had a thought. What if that old lady in the yogurt section was me in the future, and we were stuck in some sort of time-space-continuum.  Spooky, right?  See how fun the grocery store can be?!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment