Friday, July 15, 2011

I Heart Harry Potter

Well, it's the end of an era.  I just saw the final Harry Potter film.  The ride is over.

I am a huge Harry Potter nerd.  I was the person who would buy the books at midnight, sit down, and not get up again until the thing was finished.  I spent hours scanning for clues for how it would all end.  (I totally called the whole Snape plot line, P.S.)  I used to go see the movies at midnight on opening night as well....until I got old.

Therefore, now that the last movie is over, I may go into a deep Harry Potter depression.  What am I going to obsess over now?

What struck me the most in the final film, more so than any of the other movies, (or the books for that matter) was the focus on maternal love.  Sure, there's love of all shapes and sizes in Harry Potter, but the love between mother and child struck me the most.

It's obvious that a woman, and a mother, wrote these books.  Even the nastiest characters want to make sure their child is safe above anything else.

Or maybe I'm just seeing it that way because I have a baby now, and I didn't for the books and other movies.  Madeline was a teensy sprout when part one of The Deathly Hallows came out last fall, but it didn't strike me then.  The ending has all the mushy, love stuff in it.

Those of you who are big Harry Potter nerds like me, bring your hankies...that's all I'm saying.

I can't wait to introduce Madeline to the series when she's older.  I hope she enjoys the books as much as I did.  We can read them together, and I'll be able to experience the whole thing all over again through her eyes.

Maybe we can even go to Harry Potter Land!  (I don't know what it's actually called....so to me, it's Harry Potter Land.)  I want a wand and some butterbeer asap.  

This girl?  Total nerd.

3 comments:

  1. We just went to see it today too! I'm totally a Potter geek as well, I ADORE the books! :) And if it's not called Harry Potter Land, it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and b) new obsession = Hunger Games movies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked HP7.2 and want to see it again! I agree with you about the maternal love it was played up in the movie although it has been a theme in the books all along. Emily - I can't wait for The Hunger Games movies and don't forget about the last Twilight movie(s) too!

    ReplyDelete