Monday, June 27, 2011

OMG YUM!

Have you ever eaten something so delicious that you find yourself unconsciously reciting The Hail Mary aloud, and you're not even Catholic?  Well, if not, you've got to try David Lebovitz's salted butter caramel ice cream recipe.  It's so good it could make Lindsay Lohan find Jesus...seriously.

I had a few mishaps along the way...
I burnt my first batch of caramel and had to start over again.   Oops
And at one point I managed to splatter boiling hot caramel sauce all over me.  Luckily, most of it landed on my clothing and not my skin.  Only my fingers and foot got burned.  Double Oops.  

But other than that, the process went pretty smoothly.  

Not burnt caramel....sooo much tastier!

Making the custard 
finished custard
churning the ice cream the following day
finished ice cream
Tip:  Most good ice cream recipes I've seen tell you to chill the custard in the refrigerator for several hours before churning it.  I usually skip that step because....erm....I'm impatient....and...erm...I'm too fat to wait that long for ice cream.  But, this time, I let the custard cool overnight.  The texture of the ice cream turned out much nicer than it usually does.  Lesson learned?  Don't skip this step.  Good ice cream takes patience.  

Tip The Sequel: A little of this goes a long way.  It's so rich and sweet and flavorful that there's no way I could eat a whole bowl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment