Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Littlest Rhody

We took advantage of the beautiful weather this weekend with a trip to Rhode Island.

I went to the University of Rhode Island, but I haven't been back to the state for a good four years now. Um, how did that happen??  

I don't get nostalgic over many things in life.  I'm not the kind of person who misses high school, or misses my best friend from second grade.  But this weekend? I had full on flash backs.

For some reason, the clearest of my memories from college take place in the early spring.  It reminds me of walks at Narragansett Pier, visits to Newport, and all-night-paper-writing benders because I'd waited till the last minute to write that twenty-page final...again.    


This Saturday also happened to be Welcome Day for the incoming freshmen.  When we stopped by campus, (because I was dying to see what they've done with the place!) it was crawling with eager high school students warily exploring dorms with their parents.

It brought back memories of my Welcome Day and how I wasn't convinced I wanted to attend URI.  Little did I know that those years would turn out to be some of the best of my life.  
I worked for the student newspaper my junior and senior years.  
  It's weird going back now with my family.  The college students look like kids.  I couldn't remember the names of most of the buildings anymore.  The halls of Memorial Union, where I spent a large amount of time, no longer look familiar.  It somehow looks smaller, older than I remember it.  None of the faces are recognizable, and sadly, I've lost touch with most of my friends from college in the seven years since we've graduated.  In short, it's no longer home.    



I've only got seventeen years to convince Madeline that URI would be a good place for her to go to school.  It's a good thing I've started early.







      

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you guys had fun! Love that picture of Eric and Madeline!

    ReplyDelete