Friday, April 1, 2011

Hot Momma!

A lot of my favorite baby blogs feature pictures of moms sporting the latest fashion trends.  These new mothers are hip, cute, and stylish.

Meanwhile, I usually look like this:
Jealous?
Yup, I'm just one delicious guacamole dip away from a pair of mom jeans.  (Pretty soon, I'm going to start wearing this.)

I spent nearly an hour huffing and puffing over having "nothing" to wear this morning.  I think the freaking April 1 snowstorm had something to do with my bad mood, but also, I really do have "nothing" to wear.   

Maybe if I started actually folding my laundry and putting it away, I'd be more inclined to dress myself. 

Or maybe...if I could start getting my frumpster off the couch and into a gym, I'd actually have a body I'd want to spend time dressing again.  

Seriously, having a baby does weird things to your body, yo.  And after two pregnancies in two years, including six months of I-Lost-My-Baby-So-Pass-Me-Another-French fry-Bitch! moping, my body in no way resembles its former self.  No joke; when I got pregnant with Ellis, I weighed 127 lbs.  When I got pregnant with Madeline??? 157!  Yikes!  

My thighs won't quit.  My butt is at the same time ridiculously wide, and yet, nonexistent.  (My rear end is a paradox!) I went from no boobs, to Whoa! Boobs!, to hm mm...where are my boobs?  Oh wait, I found them!  They were busy hanging out with my belly button.  
P.S.  I think I dropped my cell phone in my belly button last week, and I still haven't found it!  

All of this means that I don't know how to dress myself anymore.  The kinds of clothes that used to look flattering on me no longer do.  

I also feel like I'm at an odd age for fashion.  Thirty is right around the corner!  I'm getting too old to rock the clothes I used to wear, but I don't feel mature enough to start roaming the aisles of Liz Claiborne.  

Furthermore, new clothes cost money.  Gone are the days where I could just drop fifty bucks on a new shirt just because ommigod, it's soooo cute!  Now when I see a cute shirt, the little voice in my head whispers, "Summer, your daughter needs to go to college someday!  Do you really need that shirt?"  

This is probably not a bad attitude to have except for the fact that none of my clothes fit me right because, as I mentioned, my body is weird now.  

And this, people, is how frumpy mothers are created!  All those moms I've watched on shows like What Not to Wear?  I totally. get. it. now.   

I'm whining.  I know that.  If I don't like what I see, I should fix it.  Right?  Yet, the thought of fixing all the problems I see with my body and/or terrible fashion sense, is a bit overwhelming.   

Which is why I'm posting this on the Internet.   Hopefully the thought of readers looking at my pictures and tssking, "Wait a second, I thought she wanted to lose thirty pounds, not gain ten..." will be enough motivation to drop the Dunkin Donuts.   

I'll get there.  I will get there.  As God is my witness, Ms. Scarlett.  

But, seriously, it's Friday, so we just ate steak and cheese subs.  Diet starts Monday.  

Nice shirt, Maddie Bear

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, internet procrastination whilst grading quizzes...you are hot! And I have no clothes either. Want to hit the outlets in Kittery or Wrentham over vacation?? We can use all of the What Not to Wear tips we've learned! And you can bring Maddie before she learns to want everything...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're grading quizzes on a Friday night?! That IS hot. Outlets sound like a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete