Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fare Thee Well, King of Cats


The Dizzy saga is over, and it actually has a happy ending.

He's spent the past eleven days in quarantine at the veterinarian's office, and it turns out, one of the Vet. technicians decided to keep him!

Dizzy's new owner knows all the details of Dizzy's incident.  Due to her profession, she knows cats well, and most importantly, she does not have children!  We're very happy with how things turned out....except, you know, for the whole getting stitches in the first place part.

When she asked Eric's permission to keep Dizzy, Eric happily signed all the necessary paperwork at once.  Dizzy's unknown fate has been weighing heavily on Eric's mind over the past two weeks, so this was a major relief for both of us.

It's ironic that Eric ended up getting so attached to Dizzy because he was my cat first, and there was a time when Eric couldn't have cared less about the little cat.

When I first met Dizzy (Known then as Tux) at the shelter, he had a sign on his cage that read, "Miracle kitten," because he had nearly died from some horrible kitten disease.  Miraculously, Dizzy and his sister survived and were put up for adoption.

From the way he acted when I brought him home, you would never have know he'd been on the brink of death.   First he scampered across a plate of Thanksgiving leftovers leaving a trail of mashed potatoes across the carpet in his wake.  Then, I spent the rest of the night trying to figure out how to get him out of the couch without having to take a chainsaw to it.   His second day home?  He peed on my comforter and broke my laptop.  Shortly thereafter, he managed to crawl behind the wall in the kitchen.   Some miracle!  He was a little ball of energy, but so sweet.  

When Eric came over, he paid no notice to Dizzy other than to maybe grunt, "Hey, cat."  I urged Eric to play with him, or to at least let the cat sit on his lap without success.  Eric had no desire to make friends with Dizzy, and Dizzy wasn't much interested in him either.

Eric was quite bemused when several months later I moved Dizzy into his place (uninvited) while my landlord showed my apartment to potential renters.  I figured since we were moving in together soon anyhow, he might as well get to know the cat.  Boy, did they bond!

Eric was amused by the way Dizzy tried to chase the pigeons sitting on the fire escape.  Dizzy, ever the rambunctious kitten, was pleased to have someone to really play with at last.  (I was good for a cuddle, but not much else.)

Over time, Dizzy shifted his love of me to Eric.  Sure, maybe Dizzy would condescend to cuddle my feet when he was cold at night...but that was mostly out of necessity.  When Eric walked in the room, that cat came to life.  He'd gallop to the door, and purring loudly, flop at Eric's feet.  (I wonder if Dizzy would have freaked out two weeks ago in the first place if Eric had been home at the time.)


Eric's brother-in-law once said that if he were to consider all the cats he knew, he'd cast Dizzy as the King of Cats.

In typical cat fashion, Dizzy looked at everyone as if they were put on this earth to serve him...and if you weren't feeding him, or petting him, you weren't worth his time.  His scathing gaze was further emphasized by the white markings on his chin.  He always appeared to be frowning regally.  Dizzy's disdain escaped no one.....no one that is, except Eric.  He and Eric were pals.  I think Dizzy almost considered Eric his equal...almost.



Luckily for The Dizzy Cat, it was his expressive face that drew his new owner to him.  Hopefully, he'll learn to love her as much as he loved Eric and reserve his glare for the rest of the commoners.  

Well, King of Cats, I'm sad that the last time I saw you you happened to be scratching my face up...but in spite of that, I will remember you fondly.   And I hope you never forget that somewhere in the universe there's an Eric who loves you.

Go now; rule over a new human.  I wish you well.




1 comment:

  1. hi there, I'm about 45 minutes away from a vet appointment for the first love of my life (my cat!) to figure out what to do because she almost got my 2 year old's eye. Of course I'm doing the searching online about options and happened upon your blog. WOW! That's so crazy and scary and now I'm just ecstatic that all we got is a sratched nose. I'm so sorry for what you had to go through.

    ReplyDelete