Saturday, October 23, 2010

Pretty in Pink

Giving birth to a baby girl means two things:  One, you instantly start preparing for the day when you will have to endure the wrath of a fifteen-year-old female; and Two, in the meantime, your living space will start to look like a bottle of Pepto-Bismol has thrown up all over it.  We have pink things everywhere!  Pink balloons, pink envelopes, pink flowers, pink blankets, and her wardrobe?  Well, this girl is going to be wearing nothing but pink-footed pajamas until she gets a job at Market Basket and starts buying her own clothes.

In my experiences, I've found that are two kinds of people.  There are the people who love dressing baby girls in pink because it's adorable and sweet.  Then, there are the kind of people who reject everything pink because they feel it represents the subjection of the female species.

Luckily, I embrace pink girlishness hardcore.  Pink (as Shelby from Steel Magnolia's would say) is my signature color.   Growing up, people always told me that I couldn't wear pink because it would clash with my red hair.  Well, somewhere in my late teen years I finally stopped listening to this advice, and you know what?  I look damn good in pink.  It brings out the undertones in my otherwise transparent skin.

Now that I've spawned another redhead, thus doing my part to prevent the inevitable demise of our species, my girl will wear pink proudly!

For those of you who love pink as much as I do, a list of all things pink and lovely.
  1. Pink Sunsets
  2. Pink Roses
  3. Cotton Candy
  4. Pink Lemonade 
  5. Jem's Hair (It's truly, truly, truly outrageous!) 
  6. Bubblegum
  7. Glinda the Good Witch 
  8. The movie Pretty in Pink
  9. Shrimp Cocktail
  10. Cosmopolitans 
  11. Strawberry Ice Cream
  12. Barbie's Dream House and Corvette
  13. Dizzy's Tongue
  14. Piglet
  15. Pepto-Bismol (I realize that Pepto-Bismol may at first seem gross, but since it makes you feel better, it makes the good list.)  
  16. The Pink Ladies 



For those of you who reject pink, a list of all things pink and...not so lovely:

1. Undercooked chicken
2. Grapefruit juice
3. Rush Limbaugh's Face
4. The Energizer Bunny
5. The Pink Panther
6. Molly Reinwald's prom dress in Pretty in Pink (Seriously, she takes an awesome vintage 50's dress and turns it into some 80s monstrosity.)
7. Pink Eye
8. Pink Belly
9. Pink Poodles
10. Victoria's Secrets Pink  (Yea, just what we need V.S, a bunch of twelve-year-old tarts with the word PINK emblazoned across their rear ends.  Plus, now I have the added embarrassment of running into students while shopping for ridiculously large undergarments.)  


6 comments:

  1. Um. I kind of love that you listed Jem's truly outrageous hair. Also, Piglet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to be difficult...but is there a "I'm kind of indifferent to pink although I am currently wearing a pinkish waffled pj shirt" category?

    And you should amend your pink love list to include pink starburst!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy- I'm sorry, ther's no in-between. You must choose a side. Also, I don't like Starbursts. Pink is the only kind I will eat though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...pink flamingos
    ...pink elephants
    ...pink necco wafers (the best in the roll!)
    ...little pink houses (for you & me)

    Mom/Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good ones mom! Especially neck wafers.

    ReplyDelete