Monday, October 4, 2010

Confessions of a First-Time Momma

Recently, my blog has been all, "Isn't my baby the most adorable baby ever?!? Awww."  (Which she is, obviously.)  But, I also wanted to take a moment to reflect on the more realistic side of my current life as a parent.

I know this is going to come as a shock to you veteran mommas, but this parenting thing is H.A.R.D.  It's not like I didn't know it would be hard.  Of course I knew it was going to be hard. (That's what she said.) The thing is?  It's a different kind of hard than I thought it would be.  It's a kind of hard that you can't prepare for...it's sink or swim time.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Madeline, and I'm sure my blog will soon return to showcasing adorable pictures.  I'm over the moon to be a Momma, but at the same time, the early days of parenthood can also be quite disturbing.  If I acted like I was blissfully sailing through all this, I would be lying.  I think there's a misconception that new moms should feel positively giddy with happiness all the time, which is why when things like the baby blues strike, it makes those new mothers feel so guilty.  So, here's what I've discovered so far.


1. The baby blues are real, yo.

Before having Maddie, I'd read about the baby blues.  Every parenting book out there mentions them.  But, for some reason, maybe because of what we'd been through with Ellis, I thought I would be immune.  In my pregnancy glow, I just couldn't imagine being depressed after the birth of my beautiful, healthy daughter.  As it turns out, I'm just as susceptible as everyone else.

The mood swings during pregnancy?  Ha, those weren't mood swings.  The baby blues?  Now, that's a mood swing!  I've had periods of uncontrollable crying for no reason...like at the grocery store.  I've had times where I've had to hand the baby over to Eric and just go sob in the other room.  I've had times times where I've just wanted to pull a bedspread over my head and stay there for a full 24 hours.

My life as I knew it is suddenly gone, and I don't think there's anything you can do to fully mentally prepare for that fact.  That doesn't mean that I don't have a new-and-improved wonderful life ahead of me, but it's very disconcerting to not recognize yourself anymore.  It takes time to wrap your mind around your new reality, and the hormones, body aches, and crying baby don't make it any easier.

As the weeks have gone on, the crying fits are much fewer and further in between, and I know I'm now on the other side of the baby blues.  Thank goodness because all that crying was distracting me from my adorable, perfect little baby.


2. Breastfeeding sucks


Here's a dirty little secret for you: I HATE breastfeeding.  Proponents of breastfeeding always talk about the amazing bonding experience you feel with your child, and how it's the most natural way to be a mother in the world.  Well, I say bologna.

 In the first few days, it was so stressful that I would burst into tears just thinking about feeding her.  First, it was painful.  Secondly, I was stressed about possibly starving my baby.  We met with a lactation consultant while we were in the hospital, and while she was there, she sprinkled her happy, hippie fairy dust, and it all seemed so easy and natural.  The thing is, the lactation consultant eventually had to leave, and I had to turn back into a pumpkin, Cinderella.  Once I was on my own, it continued to hurt, and I couldn't quite get her in the right position.

Almost three weeks later,  things are running much more smoothly.  It doesn't hurt like it did, and baby girl is definitely not starving. (She's getting huge.) It DOES get easier every day.  Still, I don't like it much.  It doesn't make me feel bonded with my daughter.  Holding her does, watching her smile does, letting her sleep on my chest does...but feeding her?  Not so much. In fact, if anything, it makes me feel a bit resentful.  I'm not just a human milk machine damn it!  It also makes me feel trapped.  (I'm not the whip-the-boob-out-in-public kind of gal despite my tendency to share too much information on the Internet.)

So why am I still doing it?  The guilt obviously.  While I don't like it, it's not like it's unbearable either.  I know it's better for Madeline.  (Another recall on formula the week we brought her home didn't help either.)  Plus, I'm stubborn.  I've come this far, I can't just give up now.  Giving up would be a tremendous failure.  Not acceptable for me at this point.  This week we're going to start giving Maddie one bottle of expressed milk a day.  By the time I go back to work, she's got to be fully on the bottle.  That goal makes everything more bearable because I know I won't be trapped forever.

3.  I didn't know what fear was till I became a mother 

The responsibility of caring and providing for such a helpless little being is frightening as hell.  What if she's not getting enough to eat?  What if she gets sick?  What if she doesn't sleep tonight?  What if I can't get her to stop crying?  Is she warm enough?  Is she too warm?  Is she still breathing?  Is it okay that we can't get her to stay on her back?  Am I holding her enough?  Am I holding her too much?  Where are we going to send her to school?  How are we going to pay for college?  What if the economy tanks forever and her only future is, "Do you want fries with that?"  Where's the cat?  What if I drop her?  What if someone tries to steal her?  What if I leave her in the elevator?  What if daycare is bad for her?  What if we get into a car accident?  Is her eyesight okay?  What's that bump on her lip?  Are we changing her diaper often enough?  Is she pooping enough?  Is her poop the right color?

See what I mean?  There's a lot of what-ifs!  Sometimes I worry that I'll never be able to relax again.  And, my guess is, that I probably won't.  Sigh....deep breaths.

There it is; what I've learned about parenting so far.  I hope this didn't come across as too whiny.  I'm loving my little munchkin more and more every day.  And, as I get into the swing of Momma-hood, I'm learning to swim instead of sink.

9 comments:

  1. Relax! You think you're worried now...just wait until she is driving around at night with boys. Does that help?

    And don't worry, as soon as Maddie's on the bottle* you and I can resume all the super exciting things we used to do...um...like go to a movie or the mall. Haha

    *Of mommy milk not the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've got to say as a veteran Mom that yes parenting is hard and no that isn't a shock to hear.
    What you're feeling now is normal.

    The fear, NO person can prepare you for that.

    You'll find you will make it through everything that you are afraid of and it will be okay.
    :)
    Old fears get replaced by new fears. One day you will be afraid when she starts walking, afraid when she starts school, learns to drive, starts to date, leaves for college, leaves home for good...and a million things in between.

    But not to worry there are so many times in life where you stop and enjoy being a Mom and have no worries at all! You just think "Hey I've got this!" So yes you will be able to relax sometimes.

    So I guess what I'm trying to say is welcome to the club. It doesn't matter if you are a new Mom or a Mom of 7 - we all worry, we are all afraid,and we all hate some things about being a Mom...it's all normal.

    You are a great Mom! Just keep on keeping on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and one more thing...
    :-)

    You hate breast feeding? I also have a secret of something I hate about being a Mom.
    I hate helping with homework. I hate everything thing about it. I get chills every night at homework time and always have, so there.

    But they have to be helped. They can't go into school with no homework cause Mom wouldn't help them.

    It's part of my job as Mom but still I hate it...but I do it anyway.

    Maybe homework is not a good comparison for breast feeding since homework doesn't keep you alive. :(

    Just saying you don't have to love everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your posts Hollie. It's good to hear from a veteran.

    P.S. I'll help Owen with his homework if you feed Madeline. Deal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you wrote this post. I think too many women are afraid to talk about the parts of being a parent that aren't perfect. They feel like it would brand them as a bad parent or makes it seem that they don't appreciate their children.

    Thank you for your honesty. I know you're already an excellent mommy - a human one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every Mom feels that way, and every Mom feels guilt by saying, "I LOVE my new baby, I'm so Happy to have my baby..but..." It's totally normal, but we never speak of it because we think it should be all sunshine and roses, which it's not, but slowly the fear and anxiety wane and much like childbirth, you slowly forget the pain and just experience the joy. There are a zillion parenting books out thre, but babies do not come with instruction manuals. Every baby is different. All that matters is that she's loved!
    :-) Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Dawn. She will be loved for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really wonderful to read. Thanks for being so honest.

    ReplyDelete