Thursday, September 9, 2010

Baby and Me and a Bucket of Pee!

As it turns out, nonstress tests are only not stressful when they don't find anything wrong with you.

I had my second nonstress test today, and baby is doing well.  She was quieter today than on Monday, but she still passed with flying colors.  (Hoo-ray)

But...the nurse once again eyed my swollen feet and legs very suspiciously.  (Probably because they look something like this only fatter.)  

She even poked them a few times. I think she was making sure I'm not some weird crossbreed of a hobbit and Ms. Piggy. My swollen feet didn't really concern me because they were a little bloated even before I got pregnant, and I had just come from work.  My blood pressure was also a little high...but again, I had just come from work, and you know, kids...*sigh.*  The kicker though was that I had protein in my urine, which has not happened before and cannot be blamed on work.  

All these things (particularly the protein) are signs of preeclampsia, so they decided to investigate further.  Which is great fun because it means.....

That I get to spend 24 hours peeing into a giant orange jug!

Don't worry, the jug was still pee free at time of photo.
When the nurse first explained what I have to do, I had visions of trying to secretly carry my pee bucket to the lady's room during work tomorrow without scarring any children for life.  Then she told me I have to keep it on ice and in the refrigerator.  What's more horrifying than a pee bucket under my desk?  A pee bucket in the staff refrigerator of course!   

Which means I'm staying home from work tomorrow.  Now the children won't learn anything all because I have to spend my day peeing in a stupid bucket.  

On the way home from the hospital, Eric and I started wondering if our baby might end up being a September baby instead of an October baby.  Maybe it was the way the nurse asked if we'd had an induction scheduled yet.  (Yet?!)  Maybe it's because we've become used to the fact that our doctor is very cautious, (which I love, p.s.) and since I'm only a few days from 37 weeks, he might decide it's time to get the baby out.  Whatever the reason....we both started to feel that baby may be here sooner than we anticipated.  

Baby could be here a week from now.  Or, she could be here a month from now.  Who knows?  I guess we'll just have to wait until I've filled that pee bucket with glorious protein-fueled urine to be sure. 

In the meantime, I think I may spend tomorrow packing a bag for the hospital and washing the rest of baby's things...just in case.  

4 comments:

  1. Ahh...the orange jug. Good thing you could take today off. Imagine if you had to bring that to school! I can just see the teachers reaching around a big jug of pee for the lunches. AhhHaa...
    I was going to ask if they had tested your protein levels since I knew that would be the next step if your BP and swelling didn't come down, but I didn't want to throw that out there and scare you.

    Even though my protein levels stayed only slightly elevated my BP and swelling continued to be an issue when I had Eric and they induced me. They didn't schedule me in they sent me right from the doctors office after a non-stress test right to the hospital and hurray a baby! I had nothing packed...so PLEASE pack your bag today. If Eric has to pack your pj's you never know what you will get(sorry Eric)

    I think you will be having a September baby. Your doctor sounds awesome and will do just the right thing. When you think about it it's much better to have the baby before your due date waiting around after your due date gets very tiresome.

    So excited...won't be long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information Hollie! We've been trying to guess about what they'll do. I will FOR SURE pack my bags today just in case. Our next non-stress test is on Monday and we should also be getting the results of the pee bucket back then. Then, we have a regular doctor's appointment scheduled for Thursday...so we will see. Yikes! Thanks for your insight though, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! September babies rule anyway (okay, I'm biased).
    Seriously, though, I'm glad you have such a good doctor keeping on top of everything. I can't wait to see the exciting news that your healthy, happy and lovely little girl has arrived! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to you! I love how you always make me smile - even though your poor swollen feet are probably making you a little glum.

    I have an award for you over at Kate's Library.

    ReplyDelete