Saturday, September 4, 2010

35 Weeks

We've started the final countdown folks because there's only one month left until our little baby is here at last!  I'm really, really, REALLY excited, and trying to not be impatient.  I just want to chill and enjoy the last month as much as it's possible for a swollen pregnant lady to enjoy her last month of pregnancy.

School started back up this week.  I was anxious to meet the kids and get going again.  It's funny how I'm always so ready for summer vacation, (and even the long weekend we're having already...nice!) but once I get back in the classroom, I'm generally very happy to be there.  It's good to know that I still like my job.

The next month of working, however?  It's going to be rough on my body.  By the end of the day on Monday, I told Eric that I was so tired I thought I was going to throw up.  By the end of the week, my feet and ankles had swollen beyond recognition.  Really, all my jokes about having cankles in the past?  HA.  I didn't know what cankles even were until now.

I had a doctor's appointment after school on Thursday.  The nurse said I was dehydrated, my blood pressure was high, and eyed my swollen limbs with a frown.  I explained to her that I had just started work again after a long break.  She gave me brisk advice to go home, put my feet way up, and drink lots of ice water.....done and done!  That's pretty much what I've been spending my weekend doing so far.

I only met with the doctor for a few brief minutes.  He did my Group B streptococcus screening and listened to baby's heartbeat.  He also told me that they're going to have me go in for nonstress tests twice a week for the rest of my pregnancy.  That's in addition to the three regular checkups I have left.

As my mom pointed out, isn't getting to this nonstress test going to stress me out?  Yes, mom, it probably will.  Still, I also continue to be glad that the doctors are covering all possible bases for me.  Getting to the hospital two or three times a week after work = stress.  Knowing for sure that baby's okay = not stressed.  The stress levels will balance out.  Plus, you just lie there and listen to baby's heartbeat and feel her moving around for twenty to forty minutes....how bad can that be?  I can use that time to practice my deep breathing techniques that I learned in baby boot camp and have forgotten already.

Meanwhile, the rest of the long weekend will be spent doing small errands and getting everything ready for baby.  Because?  She'll be here before we know it!

2 comments:

  1. Where did you get that impatient gene?! It's like you are six years old waiting for Christmas. At least you know what you are getting...a beautiful baby girl! This month will fly by. Your job is to be the SERENE Mommy-in-waiting; keep your feet up (even at school-you can do it!), sleep as well & as long as possible, drink lots of water, eat well (I promise not to bring you any more pastry!). No worries, you two are very well prepared. Anything left undone will take care of itself...
    Can't wait - 28 days!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Summer - you're almost done.

    Same thing happened to me with Eric. Elevated blood pressure, swollen legs and cankles = non-stress tests about one week before until one week after my due date(he was late). It is comforting to sit and listen to baby's heartbeat.
    Here's my advice: Put your legs up whenever you can at school, at home, in the car, anytime you can.
    Also have your bag packed and ready for the hospital.

    ReplyDelete