Monday, August 30, 2010

An Intimate Interview with My Baby Daddy


Even though this blog is entitled OUR Little Baby, and even though I have an About US section, you may have noticed that Eric's involvement in this blog is rather limited....ya know, other than the fact that he got me pregnant in the first place. (Hoo-ray Eric!) Every now and again I have him read a post to make sure I won't embarrass him too much in front of his family and friends, but that's about it.

For months, I've been trying to get him to write a post: Pregnancy from HIS point of view. He tells me that he's not creative enough for such things, but I know for a fact that he can do much more than sit around playing his trumpet. (He really does play the trumpet.) I've seen him read books, he watches the Discovery Channel... And nobody, and I mean NOBODY (except maybe my Mom) can finish a crossword puzzle faster than he can. In fact, it was his crossword puzzle abilities that first caught my eye in the first place. Once I saw how quickly he could own the Boston Globe puzzle, I was all "Be still, my beating heart!" So, surely, he could figure out how to write on our silly blog.

However, instead of making him write by himself, I've written the following questions for him to respond to.

Without further ado, I introduce the man behind the baby bump.....

Me: Hello Eric, and thank you for joining us here today. How does it feel to be featured on our blog?

Eric: Awesome - I'm your biggest fan. I've been reading every post repeatedly and dissecting them for hidden meaning and innuendo.

Me: We're now in the eighth month of pregnancy. How have you been holding up so far?

Eric: Good - the late night trips for ice cream have prepared me for the crazy things you'll have me doing after the baby is born.

Me: Will you miss me being pregnant? Why/why not?

Eric: I was thinking that I might miss your wild mood swings, but then I realized that you had those before you were pregnant and they'll probably stick around after the baby is born.

Me: On a scale of 1 to 10, ten being the worst, how much does it bother you when I walk around pantsless? Explain.

Eric: After the initial shock, I've gotten used to it. Now i expect to see a big belly coming around the corner followed by your pasty legs.

Me: You've been very involved in the process so far. For example, you've attended doctor's appointments and breast feeding classes. What have been your thoughts/feelings/observations about going to these things?

Eric: I was freaked out at first but the experience has been great in giving me some insight into what you're going through.

Me: I'll be going into labor in the not so distant future. How are you preparing for childbirth?

Eric: I'm thinking of the fastest way to the hospital - so you don't have the baby in the car.

Me: Are you going to chicken out and leave me when I start mooing like a cow? Cause if you do, I will cut you.

Eric: If you start mooing like a cow I will chicken out - I've been practicing my chicken noises.

Me: Will you cut the umbilical cord?

Eric: No way!!

Me: Will you hold the baby when they take her out of me, or will you be too freaked out?

Eric: Of course - I've been looking forward to that moment for the past eight months.

Me: What do you think we should name the baby?

Eric: Apple Starbucks -Free Stuff!!!!

Me: What part of fatherhood are you most looking forward to?

Eric: Watching little baby experience the world for the first time, and being able to get a new appreciation for the world with her as she learns about her new environment.


Me: What part of fatherhood are you least looking forward to?

Eric: Changing diapers - I need to talk to Tom Brady about how he got his son potty trained so fast.

Me: What is the important thing you hope to teach baby girl?

Eric: Hopefully I can teach her to have a passion for something in life. It doesn't matter to me if it sports, writing, acting, or music (but I secretly hope that its music).


Me: I saw a pair of metallic baby leggings the other day. Can I dress the baby up as Baby Gaga for Halloween?

Eric: No comment

Me: We joked the other night about you going as the guy from The Hangover for Halloween complete with Baby Bjorn. Will you please do it and bring the baby into bars to see how people react? Because that would be wicked funny.

Eric: Sure - I bet I'll get some free drinks (for me not for the baby).

Me: You will wear the Baby Bjorn sometimes though right?

Eric: How else am I going to take the baby kayaking?

Me: For serious though, do you think becoming a father has changed you at all? If so, in what ways? If not, ummm...do you think you've taken this whole thing seriously enough?

Eric: It has got me thinking about things I've never thought about before, like quality of a schools, not just the size of its band. Also I find myself carrying at least $20 in cash in my wallet and worrying if I have at least a 1/4 tank of gas (all things that my mom did and I thought was a total waste of time - sorry mom).

Me: What advice would you give to other men whose partners are pregnant?

Eric: Be there as much as possible. The experience has been a little nerve wracking but it has been totally worth it.

Me: Do you still love me even though I could currently star as Willy in Free Willy: Escape from Pirate's Cove?

Eric: Does that make me Bindi Irwin?

Me: Well, Eric, that's about all we have time for today. Thank you for being here with us today, and best of luck! I think you'll make a wonderful father.

2 comments:

  1. See Eric is plenty creative enough...although I think he's totally serious about you not having the baby in the car on the side of rte. 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I especially like how he responds to you walking around pantsless. You guys are funny - and will be great parents!

    ReplyDelete