Monday, July 19, 2010

The (Soon to be Not So) Glamourous Life of Dizzy the Cat

This is Dizzy, our asthmatic cat.



Dizzy, my friends, is one spoiled cat! Because although people are always like, "Blah, blah, blah, cats are dumb and dogs are awesome!" our cat actually is awesome. He's provided us with hours of amusement. He sings in the shower for God's sake! And he carries a little stuffed mouse (with no ears) around the house with him like a security blanket! He gives himself asthma attacks in his pitiful attempts to chase birds sitting on our windowsill...hilarious! And he sleeps on our feet every night when we go to bed.



Sometimes when I look down at the fat fuzzball sleeping on my feet, I find it really strange that we have a wild little creature that lives with us. And sometimes when he stares at me from the dark safety of the shadows, I know he's thinking, "How can I eat her??" And when he peed on my bedspread, got stuck in the couch, and broke my laptop all during the first week I brought him home from the shelter, I was sure I made a huge mistake in adopting such a cantankerous beast.

But, still, we love the little Dizzy, and he pretty much has the run of the place. He literally walks all over us.


Poor Dizzy...his whole world is about to be flipped upside down in the name of a wailing, pooping mini-human who will monopolize all our time and energy. Attacking my ankles is one thing, but it's on if he touches baby! Who will have time to cuddle a little cat immediately after entering the apartment when there will be a sweet little baby to cuddle?

Dizzy has already started to catch on to the fact that things are changing. First, I won't let him walk up and down my belly anymore because he weighs 17 pounds, and 17 pounds on my baby bump is not comfortable. Secondly, the baby's room used to be our office/cat room. He had his cat bed in there along with his cat tent and cat toys. Now, we've moved all his things to our bedroom, and we try to keep him out of the baby's room as much as possible.

Dizzy doesn't quite understand why the new furniture in baby's room doesn't belong to him. We've caught him in the baby's crib twice! And to him, a Pack and Play seems like the most reasonable place for a cat to be in the world!


This is partially our fault. When we put the changing table together, the first thing I did was pick up the cat and put him on it to test the stability of the table. (The cat is 17 pounds for crying out loud!) Once I knew the changing table would be able to support our baby, (Who will not be 17 pounds when we bring her home!) I promptly kicked the cat off it and shooed him away. The next time he tried to climb up on the changing table I sprayed him the face with a water bottle. (Actually, Eric sprayed him because if the cat's going to hate someone, it might as well be Eric.) No wonder the poor cat is confused! Luckily, I've learned my lesson, and I resisted the temptation to wheel him around in the new stroller this week.

As much as he hates the water bottle to the face, I still have my suspicions that he's sneaking into the crib when we're not looking. He may look pretty stupid, but he has a crafty little mind between those ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment