Monday, July 26, 2010

I Can't Wait To...

Bring baby to Folk Festival next year!

Every year the folk festival comes to town and disrupts our lives for a few days since it is literally set up in our front yard. All the downtown streets are shut off, which means it's very difficult (if not sometimes impossible) to get out of our parking lot. This year, there was even a beer garden blocking our driveway!

Eric had a beer there just so he could say he drank in our parking lot. What's more awkward than a fat pregnant lady standing in a beer garden? Possibly a fat pregnant lady standing outside the fence of a beer garden taking pictures of her baby-daddy while he tries to enjoy his beer.


(The picture is really dark because my flash didn't turn on, and I felt too ghetto standing there taking pictures to take the time to fix it.)

Luckily, folk festival is a lot of fun so we don't usually mind being trapped there. The centerpiece of the weekend is, of course, the music. The award for most interesting act this year goes to...Kosher Gospel. Very interesting. All the art galleries are open, and there are booths set up with people selling their crafts. Best of all, there's food!! Lots and lots of foods from all the different cultures in the area. Want Asian? Got it! Want soul food? Check! Greek? Yes, sir! A good ol' American hot dog? But, of course!



As you can see, I ate ALL the food. I think there should always be a fried dough stand set up at the end of our driveway. Just saying...the city should consider it.

On Saturday morning, we walked around and looked at all the art before it got too hot out. We scored two great toys for baby's enjoyment. Not only are they both adorable, but I like that I'll be able to look at them and remember that I bought them at folk fest.

The colorful sock dolls were made by a woman named Arlette Laan. They're machine washable so baby can drool all over them. The giraffe marrionette was handcarved by Fish River Crafts in Maine. I don't suppose this will be a very interesting toy for baby, but it looks really cool in her room.

On Sunday, we got to the main stage early and set up our chairs in the shade. It was beautiful out, and we spent several hours sitting there listening to all the great music.

I was on baby high alert and spent more time watching the babies frolicking on the grass than I did watching the bands. While last year I saw babies and thought, "That should have been us," this year I kept thinking, "Next year that will be us." I can bring baby to the park and let her roll around on a blanket in the sunshine. I can show her the doggies and the balloons and the other babies and the different instruments on the stage. I can dress her in a cute outfit and let everyone "Ooo" and "Ahhh" over her. Best part is, if baby gets fussy...it's only a one minute walk back to our apartment. It'll be great! Next year, I won't mind being trapped at home at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment