Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Food Cravings: Diary of a Fat Pregnant Lady


Have you ever wanted something so bad it makes you cry? (Isn't that an old Brandy song?) Well, this morning I came this close to shedding tears for a guacamole dip I remembered my mom making when I was a kid. I wanted it THAT badly.

The strange part is that back in 1995 when I last tried the dip, I didn't even like guacamole or sour cream. (Clearly, I was a stupid child) So, why then did I suddenly decide at 11 am this morning that I HAD to have that particular dip?? Because I'm pregnant and hormonal and apparently experiencing what they call cravings. I don't know..it's all very scientific; you can Google it.

I interrupted my mother's vacation in Vermont for the recipe, and because she would beat Martha Stewart in a throw down, she happened to have it on file! After giving me the recipe, she asked where I was headed. (Obviously making an extravagant party dip implies that I'm heading to a party.) Slightly ashamed, I had to admit that the only party I was having was a guacamole-induced-coma party with myself and my couch.

The next step in my epic quest was to get the supplies at the grocery store. It is, however, hotter than Salma Hayek's left buttock here, and the thought of carrying groceries from my car to my apartment in this weather was something I couldn't even comprehend. After all, I do have a history of flipping out in hot weather. That's why I decided to wait for Eric to get home from teaching music lessons so he could help me out!

As soon as Eric walked into the AC of our apartment, he announced that he was not going grocery shopping because it was too damn hot and there was too much damn traffic. I accepted this graciously, and decided that he was probably right. I'd just eat a bowl of Cheerios. But my heart was broken for my dip, and for the next half an hour, I could talk about nothing else but how good it was. Eventually Eric decided it wasn't so bad out after all and we could go. Apparently when given the choice between battling the heat of Hades or listening to me whine about guacamole, Eric would rather face the heat.

While at the grocery store, I decided I also HAD to HAVE a BBQ pulled pork sandwich so we picked up supplies for that too. It was a double win! The rest of the afternoon was spent eating my dip and waiting for my pulled pork to roast in the slow cooker. Amy even came over, and while she doesn't like guacamole, she did watch me eat it while we sat and watched two hours of the Tyra Show. It was a perfect afternoon!

I love my mom for giving me the recipe, I love my boyfriend for taking his crazy girlfriend grocery shopping when it's 101 degrees out, and most of all, I LOVE my guacamole dip!

2 comments:

  1. The dip looked wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more appetizing before you dug into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure tasted appetizing though!

    ReplyDelete