Friday, June 18, 2010

Dads and Baby Names

Whenever we try to discuss baby names, the conversation ends up going a little bit like this....

Me: How about the name Anne?
Eric: Anne's OK. How about Apple?
Me: Apple? Like Gwyneth Paltrow?
Eric: Apple Nike so we can get free stuff.
Me: No. What do you think of Alice?
Eric: Or, Starbucks!
Me: (Ignoring him now.) I like the name Alice. Maybe as a middle name....
Eric: I think Starbucks would be good. Dunkin Donuts?!
Me: (annoyed voice) Baby girl Dunkin Donuts?!? Do you know what that would do to a child? Seriously, what names do you like?
Eric: (Ignoring me now.) I think it'd be good. We like coffee.
Me: Well, I've heard that there are several baby Espns out there after ESPN.
Eric: Espn? That's so stupid!

Other names he's suggested include Wharf, Anchovy, Brianna Scalabrine, and Pepsi.
Luckily, I know he's just joking. (I think...)

I did a Google search on dads and baby names to see if this is a guy thing or if it's just an Eric being Eric thing. I suspect it's a guy thing because one of the first websites to pop up was this one from Brand New Dad. As you can see from the rules, Eric is not the first man to think you can name your baby after a science fiction character or that you can make money by naming your baby after a major corporation.

No comments:

Post a Comment