Thursday, April 15, 2010

Pink Baby? Blue Baby?

While I admire those moms who can patiently wait nine months while decorating their nursery in gender-neutral tones, patience is a virtue I know not of. We're hoping to find out the sex of the baby when I have my ultrasound on May 3. In fact, I'm way too impatient to wait until May, so I decided to turn to the wisdom of old wives everywhere to find out if we're having a little GI Joe or GI Jane.



Test #1: High or Low

If you carry high, it's a girl. If you carry low, it's a boy. While it's still a little hard to tell because my belly is just starting to pop, I think it's on the low side.

Verdict: Boy

Test #2: Number of Heartbeats

A heart rate below 140 is supposed to be a boy, and above, a girl. We've been averaging around 150.

Verdict: Girl

Test #3: Sweet vs. Sour.

If you're craving something sweet, it's a girl; something salty/sour, it's a boy. I crave both. I like to eat ice cream and dill pickles. So, where does that leave me?

Verdict: One chubby momma!

Test #4: Chinese Lunar Calendar

The mother's age at conception and the month of conception are used to create this calendar.

Verdict: Boy

Test #5: Mayan Calendar

The Mayans say if the age of the mother and year of conception are both even, or both odd, then it's a girl. If they are different, then it's a boy. Although, as Eric says, if we start listening to the Mayans we may be in trouble in a few years...

Verdict: Girl

Test #6: Morning Sickness

If you have morning sickness= girl. No morning sickness = boy. I have not had one moment of morning sickness. Hooray! Although, I didn't last time either, and it was a girl....so maybe old wives don't know jack.

Verdict: Boy

Test #7: Drano and Urine

Supposedly, if you mix drano and urine, the color can predict the baby's gender. Ummm gross?? I did not attempt this test.

Verdict: Sorry baby, we'd rather wait.

Test #8: Is the mother a beauty or a hag?

If a pregnant woman is looking radiant and shiny and glowy with fantastic hair, then it's supposed to be a boy. If the mother is looking a little well...like a cat slept on her face, then it's a girl.

Verdict: Girl

Test #9: Ring Above the Belly

Hold a ring on a chain over a pregnant woman's belly. If it swings in a circular motion, it's a girl. If it swings back and forth: boy.

Verdict: Boy


There you have it; the old wives have spoken. Our baby will most likely be a boy. Still, I won't start painting the nursery blue or anything until we find out for sure...hopefully, on May 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment