Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How Twilight Is Affecting Our Baby...

You may have noticed that the name Esme is on the list of our favorite baby names. Well, Eric has tried to veto it because he says it sounds like it came from, "the book of baby vampire names." If anyone is familiar with Twilight, you will know that Esme is the name of one of the main characters. This is NOT, however, why I chose the name. If I was going to name any of my children after Twilight I would obviously choose Edward....sigh.

On deeper investigation though, I've come to realize just how prevalent Twilight has become in naming one's future offspring. Websites such as www.babynames.com and www.babynamesworld.com have categories devoted to names from Twilight. Even Renesmee, the name of Edward and Bella's half-human-half-vampire baby, is on the list. If you click on the name, up come several photographs of cute little babies who have recently been named Renesmee. I just hope those babies don't give their parents the problems Bella and Edward had.

On the list of the most popular baby names at babynames.com, names like Bella and Alice have risen in popularity from last year. Esme and Rosalie are both new to the list at spots 84 and 88. As for the males, Emmett is new to the list while Jasper and Edward have both risen by over ten slots at 42 and 65. Jacob has actually fallen a few spots to #8, but I think that's probably because people are tired of Taylor Lautner's abs.

Eric may get his way. Esme may have to be vetoed...but I'm not giving up on it quite yet.....

3 comments:

  1. So funny "book of baby vampire names"...who would name a baby Renesmee?

    I like Jacob and I'm not tired of Taylor Lautner's abs ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Jasper and Maddox are on the list above John. What is this world coming to? And Amy and Summer are no shows...boo!

    ReplyDelete